Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Trade to Announce (DOMINOS!!!!?!??)

The trade deadline is looming, and we have our first post-Olympic deal. 

Feb-26-2014
The Teeyotes send injured Henrik Zetterberg to the Joshfrey Krupuls for Paul Stastny

Both GMs provided me with their analysis of the trade, but in order to keep Teehan's interest I'm going to copy and paste his tl;dr version:
Zetterberg no play hockey. Stastny play hockey good.
Not much else to say. The Teehans are going for a money spot and the cost to do that was Stastny. The Joshfrey Krupuls made the decision to double-down of their previous Lupul trade to build towards future years. 

Long term a young Stastny > a declining Zetterberg, but it is hard to call a winner in this since the teams motivations are different. 

Stay tuned to this blog over the next while as teams begin to declare themselves buyers and sellers. Time is ticking. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's fair to say Zetterberg is declining just yet - he has 48 in 45 this year; 48 in 46 the year before. At 33, he's five years older than Stastny, but a far better player.

    This is a bold move by the GM of the Krupuls though, because Stastny is his 6th leading scorer, and now he's taking dead weight into that slot, potentially risking his playoff spot. But opportunities to add guys like Zetterberg to your roster don't come along every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to keep a keeper spot open at year's end for Yakupov because I can't give up on him yet. So my SR will not necessarily dictate my Keepers. Having already pulled the trigger on the Lupul trade, which may or may not have been extremely stupid, I figured it was time to double down on that strategy. If I hadn't made the Lupul trade I'd be in 5th place right now I believe and sniffing at a money spot. That sort of surprised me to be honest, and knowing now that I gave up a potential chance to go for a money spot this year, I am now doubling down on the strategy of preparing for next year and crossing my fingers I cling to a playoff spot in the meantime.

      And Micah, the reason I was willing to take a chance on a 33 year old has a lot to do with the fact I have been watching 38 year old Marty Mouse tear it up for you ever since i traded him for Duchene. I know Marty is in impeccable shape and Zetterberg will likely not go that long, but I figure, like you say, he is still elite.

      Delete