Sunday, October 24, 2010

Headscratch This

Many people, including myself, have been scratching their heads about my goalies. I knew I had made a terrible mistake the second I picked Varlamov, frightened by a goalie rush.

Then I picked Neuvirth, which at first seemed great (both Washington goalies!) but I now recognize that was a mistake.

As pointed out by Micah, the slot system (which I support) favours the bold, ie. making moves early to get the full benefit of the change. With Varlamov batting a zero, if I was going to replace him it had to be now, while there was still a chance Thomas could make up the necessary ground after missing his points for the first three weeks of the year.

Why this rambling post? I am listening to trade offers to either goalie. I am confident that both will get enough starts to carry my team this year. Thus, I will take on your dud goalie in exchange for an upgrade on one of my dud skaters (D or F) and maybe a draft pick. I put out what I think is a very reasonable offer to Roos, but (curiously considering he has no goalie points) he has not responded to it. So I'm opening it up to the world. Make me an offer.

I would also like to point out my best and worst pick of far in the draft:

Andrew Ference - Lia - Sure it was the 20th round, but instead of making a bold or interesting pick, Lia set feminism back decades by picking a hot guy. Way to be a stereotype.

Matt Cullen - Claaassssennn - 20th round, 9 points. While most of us picked rookies that were probably 4 years away from being productive in the last round, Claassen took the easy route and picked reliable veteran Cullen. He's getting big minutes with the other Koivu and my Auntie Miettenen. A tip of my hat to DC.


7 comments:

  1. You should try writing a self-serving post next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read this completely self-serving post, I think that everyone in the pool should have access to post on the blog, because I really enjoy all this kind of commentary and posting, which I suppose we could get from emailing, but this way it is slightly less annoying for anyone who doesn't want to be that involved (though, conceivably everyone should want to be).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a great idea. I didn't suggest it because I didn't think anyone else would be into it. But would it get messy? I mean messier than Fy emailing us every day with suggested rule changes? Maybe we can set up a separate forum for trade talk to keep all the "What will everyone offer me for Luongo?"-type discussions separate.

    It would be nice if it were built into the pool but I don't think "chump chat" is conducive to free exchange of information and ideas... not to mention graphs and charts and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also may be privacy concerns if we use people's real names and the blog is public... I've been trying to use nicknames and initials and team names but may have forgotten once or twice. Could make the blog private but then everyone has to have a gmail account and log in to even view it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dig the idea of a forum or something. There are free discussion forums available to set up on the internet that can be made private.

    Or just open this up. For the ONE person who doesn't have a gmail account, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear gutless wonders (mainly Micah).... if it wasn't for me the whole trade situation would've gone under the radar.... Also, the tie breaking system sucks (no more being polite)... to let it be decided based on goals instead of a 14th man (excluding goalies) allows luck to play a much larger factor (though at the end of the day one can argue its all luck).... In any event stay tuned for my WEEKLY blogs... just for you Micah. in all seriousness, good work guys - loving the pool (also will love being in first place in the coming days...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stand by my 20th pick.

    It wasn't solely based on him being hot either. I think it's important that my future husband know that I've always supported him.

    ReplyDelete