Sunday, March 20, 2011

KL Week in Review: Week 23


A quick update as four GMs meet in New York to discuss changes to the KL. On the agenda are topics such as rule revisions (especially goalie shutout points) and concussions (especially whether Lia was suffering from one during the inaugural draft).

Incredible! A tie for first place! The Krugars have been unstoppable, earning more points than any other team in March. They are injury-free and Kari Lehtonen has 70 points (20 in March alone), meaning he could actually surpass Ryan Miller (75). Shane Doan paced the Krugars with seven points this week.

Here are the odds of winning the KL inaugural championship, courtesy of vegasinsider.com:

1. Victoria Krugars: 5/1 - "Hands-off" management style paying off.
2. Calgary Wittmen: 7/1 - Will Kesler and Sedin see less ice time now that the Canucks have clinched?
3. Schizzarks: 10/1 - Price is everything. Would trading Parise have put them over the top?
4. Powder Rangers: 16/1 - In-season rebuilding leads to surprising late push.
5. Teeyotes: 18/1 - Finishing outside of top-four would be disastrous, given draft picks traded away.
6. Manitoba Roos: 500/1 - Actually having a better month than five teams.

5 comments:

  1. I think that one of your rule changes should be substantially more keeping of players from year to year. I think the reason you didn't see many trades near the end was that trading some of my bottom guys for someone elses bottom guys makes no sense if you can't keep them. I think it might make more sense to have more players, count more players, and keep more players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. Fourteen trades involving 60 players over the season was actually more than I expected (and I lost two bets because of it). I'm inclined to keep everything as planned for next year so we can see how a full cycle of releasing players and then drafting again plays out, unless there is a strong demand for change.

    It's going to be tough for each of us to let players go... so hard not to grow attached!

    Goalie points is something that may change though. More analysis to be done at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any possibility of adopting a farm team of 3-5 players? and once you call them up you're stuck with them for the year...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like it. Needs more thought. Write a detailed proposal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only realized we have to give up 10 guys a couple of days ago when Eric told me explicitly. I know it's my own fault for not reading the rules but this makes me very sad... I love all my big toothless children equally...

    ReplyDelete