Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Prospect System Needs Revising


Unlike my last post on the Fy Gambit, where I tried to neutrally set out the issue and points of view and options, in this post I am advocating for change. 

It is my opinion that we should change the prospect system from the current "age-restriction-plus-scoring-roster-or-would-have-made-scoring-roster-but-for" model to a simpler, fairer, and arguably more fun, "games-played" system.

Under the current system, higher-performing teams have an advantage because their scoring-roster cut-off is higher than that of lower-performing teams. For example, if the season ended today, the 15th-place Canicks would not be able to keep Valeri Nichushkin as a prospect, because he has 22 points, which puts him on the Canicks' scoring roster. But if Nichushkin were on the deeper Milan Micahleks, he would not make the scoring roster, and thus could be kept as a prospect. The same goes for the Quebec Rordique's Aleksander Barkov, who is on the Rordique's scoring roster with 22 points. This is untenable. Moreover, it's unnecessarily complicated. 

Under the games-played system, age, points and scoring rosters are irrelevant. Any player who has played 82 games or fewer is an eligible prospect. Upon puck drop for his 83rd game, an owned player is no longer prospect-eligible the following season, and an unowned player is eligible as a free agent. This adds a level of strategy as far as the free agent pool. 

If two or more GMs attempt to add the same free agent within a specified period of time (say, 24 or 48 hours after he becomes eligible) the GM with fewest points as of that time receives the player. [If we wanted to play in "easy mode," the Commissioner could notify the league when a GM puts in a claim for a newly-available free agent, giving anyone lower in the standings 48 hours to steal. I am against this but but I can understand that some people would want it]. Alternatively, we could just say that the transition to free agency only happens in the day before the draft, so to be a free agent a player must have played 83 games before the start of the season. That would avoid the free agent scramble and keep more good young players available for the draft. 

As under the current rules, players that have previously been drafted in the KL and then dropped would also be eligible free agents. 

For goalies, the magic number would be lower, perhaps 41 games, making them eligible upon puck drop of their 42nd game. 

I would propose that this rule amendment, if approved by the League and Commissioner, take effect at the end of this regular season, but that the old rule remain in effect until the beginning of the 2014-15 season. In this offseason, when both rules are in effect, GMs may keep as a prospect any player that meets either definition - 82 or fewer NHL games played, or failure to make scoring roster and born in 1991 or later.

If we decide to go with the games played system, are 82 and 41 the right numbers?

13 comments:

  1. So under your proposed change, would Nyquist be an eligible prospect? He's 1989 but has played less than 82/41 games.

    Basically, is any player, regardless of age (say a KHL player who comes over at age 27) elgible to be kept as a prospect if they have played less than the decided upon number of games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an aside, I am supportive of a change in the prospect system along some lines/in the spirit of what Micah is suggesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nyquist has played 58 total NHL games right now. Assuming he plays most of the rest of the season, he'll play his 83rd game and not be eligible as a prospect keeper when you submit your roster in September. However, for this season only, as we transition between the rules, you could keep Nyquist as a prospect, assuming he remains off your scoring roster.

    Age would be irrelevant, so yes, a late bloomer or KHL transfer could be kept in the right circumstances. I think these would be a very rare occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: I did not realize Nyquist was so old. I see now that you mentioned it above. So yeah, he would not be a prospect under either rule, unless he misses a bunch of games this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks so different without a beer and his hand on Melissa's knee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in favour of this change and I like the way your frame it Micah. I also like the transitionary/retroactive application idea. No sense in penalizing the weaker teams this season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your general concept Micah. I would be against allowing any changes this year. My Monahan "Fy Gambit" was done with the sole purpose of keeping him off my SR (an unnecessary move under the proposed system)... however I do understand the predicament that the weaker teams are in (Sam I'm not sure your a weaker team anymore lol)

    The Games played system would allow older guys finally getting a crack at the NHL a "prospect" status which I feel is more accurate (ex. Tatar, Soderberg, etc.)

    Overall a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this idea too. The current system has a definite 'rich get richer' element to it. As things are set up in the league now, it's hard for teams to move up the ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't speaking with just my team in mind, Fy, but in the with a mind to fairness more generally and a system of rules that affect everyone equally. For that same reason I would suggest that your use of the Fy Gambit with Monahan doesn't provide a good reason to delay the change until next season. Every team is affected by this, just to varying extents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sam, I know you weren't just referring to your team - my issue with it is that the retroactive rule change would've changed my strategy drastically. In general, I am against all retroactive rule changes. GMs make decisions based on the rules that are in place. I'm all for a change, just not one that impacts prospects this season.

    Unless I'm given the option of undoing my "Fy Gambit"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fy, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe under the current rules it is Monahan's total points, not his points in a particular slot, that count in determining whether he is an eligible prospect.

    If Monahan's game improves and he ends up with more total points than Soderberg or whomever is your 9th forward, the only way you'll be able to keep him is if the new rule is in place. That is, if my interpretation of the existing rule is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe your interpretation is correct Micah. That's what I thought as well.

    While the "Fy Gambit" doesn't impact Monahan's point total it helps increase my SR making it more difficult for Monahan to get onto it.

    Burns currently has 26 points but is in a 31 point slot because of the "Fy Gambit." Let's say Monahan had 27 points right now and Soderberg had 28. Monahan wouldn't make my SR and would be considered a prospect strictly because of the "Fy Gambit"

    So the manipulation is actually on making it more difficult to get on my SR as I cannot manipulate how many points Monahan actually gets because as you said his "slot" doesn't matter... Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete