Thursday, January 30, 2014

#PS3 - Draft Punks Stay Up All Night to Get Lucky

In the third instalment of Hardly a Stat Holiday for the Patrik Stefans, I have come up with a measure of each GM's draft performance in the form of an "average draftee value". This value can be thought of as the number of points earned or lost each pick on average for each GM in the 2013 draft.

I know it's not a stat holiday, but Wayne Gretzky turned 53 a few days ago, and his date of birth, Jan 26th, should really be a nationally recognized day of some sort.  It was also the Grammies that same day, so... yeah, I dunno, I needed motivation for a title.

Methodology

I evaluated forwards, defensemen, and goalies separately, in the sense that I removed any positional drafting strategy from the picture; you could think of there having been three separate drafts, one for each position. Further, after running the numbers it seemed that prospects were skewing things (Drouin would have been deemed the worst pick in the draft). I thought about removing them entirely, or selectively removing those that had played very few games, but then I decided to create yet two more distinct groups: prospect forwards and prospect defenders, defined simply as those players born in 1991 or later (they could be on your scoring roster at the moment). NB: no prospect goalies were selected.

With now effectively five clusters of draftees, I did the following to each. I compared the order in which players were selected ("list A") to the very same players sorted by points to date ("list B"). Accordingly, each player in list A had a corresponding player in list B that should have been selected in that draft position. I subtracted the point total of the player in list B from that of the corresponding player in list A to give the draftee value. I sense confusion and I haven't even published this yet. Here's a very simple hypothetical example:

Let's imagine a draft of five forwards. Ovechkin, then Crosby, then Kane, then Getzlaf, then Tavares. The table below shows this very order of selection on the left (list A) with current point totals in the adjacent column.  On the right, those same players are listed in order of their points to date (list B). Players in the same row are considered "corresponding players", and as I explain above, the corresponding player in list B is the player that should have been selected.  Point totals from the list B player are subtracted from that of the list A player to give the draftee value.


Never mind that Kyle "the knock-out" Okposo actually has more points than Ovechkin (to make the number one pick of Ovi seem even worse).  Nobody in this hypothetical draft picked Okposo, so nobody is gaining or losing anything from his exclusion from the analysis.  The same can be said for players like Reilly Smith who were not actually selected in our draft.  They don't effect anything either way.

Hopefully, you now get a sense of what I've done and it feels somewhat intuitive.  The final piece was simply averaging the draftee values for each GM.  I've included a few other bits of information.  The "without prospects column" shows the average draftee value by removing prospects from the picture entirely.  This number might be a truer indicator for those who feel that, for instance, Seth Jones was indeed a better pick than Torey Krug.  Nevertheless, under the scheme that I have used and "officially" ranked everyone's performance, prospects are compared against one another in terms of their performance this year and nothing further.  So take the average draftee value for what it's worth.

I've also listed each GM's picks in order of highest to lowest value and included the overall draft position in which they were selected.  This might give some of you reason for pause and reflection on just where everything went wrong and how you might better take your coffee breaks during next year's draft.  Or it might all just be dumb luck.



Some Observations
  • Well no matter how you slice it, prospects included or not, the Mackhawks GM performed the best on September 29th of last year, earning nearly 6 points per pick on "the field".
  • The Los Samjawors Kings GM performed the poorest, but that is in large part because my system tells me Drouin cost him 36 points as the second prospect taken; funny enough, the second highest scoring prospect--the guy that should have been picked instead of Drouin--was Jaden Schwartz, later selected by these very Los Samjawors Kings!
  • Removing the prospects entirely from the analysis, it was actually the Schizzarks GM who laid the biggest egg at the draft.  That's what you get when the combined age of the guys you select first and third is 84.
  • Alfredsson, S. Koivu, Hartnell, Letestu, Zajac, Emery, and Johansson all went exactly where they were supposed to go (ie. have a draftee value of 0)... so did some dumb prospects, but whatever...
Best Picks


Worst Picks



There are indeed several other things to bear in mind which impair this analysis, such as: 
  • the "ceiling effect" for good players being selected early
  • the fact that for the most part only 4 or 5 of these draftees are actually contributing to scoring rosters
  • each team's own positional strategy, partly determined by the positional composition of keeper rosters going into the draft
  • injuries, of course, though not sure they impair the analysis per se, because they are a big part of the outcome of this league
So while it may not be fair to think of the Mackhawks as having gained exactly 5.7 points per pick on the rest of us, I do believe this breakdown gives a fairly accurate picture of what took place exactly four months ago in terms of who were on their game and who have only themselves to blame.  So before anyone goes daftly dismantling their core before next year's draft, remember:

"All ends with beginnings... we've come too far to give up who we are"

9 comments:

  1. Hats off to the Mackhawks and to you, Stefan, for this. Limitations aside, this is absolutely a new "game within the game" and I hope you can update it at season's end, and carry it forward in future years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at the lists of best and worst picks, it's clear that the best draft strategy is to trade away your first 5-6 picks and get as many bonus-round picks as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is this more evidence that I'm not a terrible drafter should be doing better in the league than I am? I'm going to pretend like it is.

    Stefan I don't understand this at all but I appreciate creative blog post contributions! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Chiasson is not a prospect (1990) and
    2. Drew Shore is a prospect (1991).

    But mostly, this validates that I did just ok at the draft, supplementing a just ok keeper roster other than Stamkos, to place me in a just ok position in the standings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My own ego (aka Assistant GM of the Mackhawks) believes that Stefan's analysis couldn't be more spot on.

    Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its interesting that Kadri, who is having a decent year, and is actually I think not a bad pick, ends up as one of the top ten worst picks mostly because Okposo went insane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Stefan makes two very important points that need to be considered to use this data: (1) only about half of these guys on any one person's team are actually on their scoring roster, and (2) the ceiling effect on the early round guys clouds how good those picks were for your scoring roster.

    Take my team. I take Brad Boyes 155th overall, and he has a draftee value of +18. But Okposo, who is taken 7th overall, gets a +14. Boyes is not on my SR and Okposo is at the top of it.

    I think where this analysis gives fantastic insight, is those players that are on your SR, and who are doing pretty well, but you now realize you took too early. Take Lehtonen on my team. I needed a goalie because Ryan Miller was my keeper and I had an appropriate fear that Buffalo would suck again and so would he. So I had my eye out for a goalie and scooped up Lehtonen. He has 53 points right now and is the 7th best goalie in our league at the moment. But Stefan's draft analysis shows his draftee value as -13.

    Now you could take that in a few ways. I could have gotten a player of more value to my SR at that draft position when I selected Lehtonen, but our league is based on positional slots. So maybe there were 10 forwards and a few defenceman I should have selected in that spot, but if I had not taken Lehtonen and somebody else took him and Mike Smith right after, I'd be left probably making a stupid decision taking Brian Elliott, because the available goalies left at that point would have been grim.

    It makes me think of fantasy football where at the Tight end position, things fall off rapidly after 6 guys are selected. So does it make sense to get the 3rd best tight end early in the draft, and select him well before 20 other wide receivers who would actually have more scoring value at their positions because you know your tight end is going to excel, relatively, at his position.

    I still don't know how to do that calculus, and I tend to make those positional decisions totally on the fly (do I need the best D-man on the board right now, or just the best overall scorer??!!??).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we can all agree that Kyle Okposo has gone absolutely insane

    ReplyDelete