Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Best Defence is a Good Offence


In an effort to integrate more bar charts into my life, I've analyzed the top four defencemen (i.e., the ones that count on the SR) for each team.


I believe this chart speaks for itself. The red bars represent the bottom four teams in the pool. The green bars represent the top four teams in the pool. The blue bars represent excel not giving a shit about my Christmas theme.

I didn't do a graph for percentage of total points contributed by defencemen, but I can tell you it ranges from 12% (Dickie) to 32% (Teehan), with a mean and median of 20%.

I don't think there is any correlation so far between good defence and overall pool performance. For example, why are the Irish so good? Dustin Byfuglien and John-Michael Liles each have over 20 points, that's why. They were taken in the 11th and 9th rounds, respectively.

J-Kru has been steadily climbing the overall standings and I like his top-4: Visnovsky, Boyle, Pitkanen and Wideman. On the other hand, the W-Claassics' sexy top-4 of Green, Chara, Subban and Weber have put in a disappointing quarter-mark performance. Finally, pool leader K-Blat's top-4 boasts no defenceman over 11 points (but also none under ten).

Conclusion: I have wasted 1.5 potentially billable hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment